May 5, 2021
Last month, the National Institutes of Health (NIH) Director Dr. Francis S. Collins announced the UNITE initiative to identify short-term and long-term actions to end structural racism and improve the diversity and inclusion of talent within the NIH scientific workforce.
UNITE is named for five separate, but coordinating objective-based committees:
- Committee U – Understanding stakeholder experiences through listening and learning
- Committee N – New research on health disparities, minority health, and health equity
- Committee I – Improving the NIH culture and structure for equity, inclusion and excellence
- Committee T – Transparency, communication, and accountability with our internal and external stakeholders
- Committee E – Extramural research ecosystem: changing policy, culture and structure to promote workforce diversity
NIH Opportunities for Behavioral and Cognitive Scientists
The BRAIN Initiative® has re-issued two funding opportunities (FOA) to support small, targeted projects and large, team-based research projects to advance understanding of “the neural circuit basis of perception, emotion, cognition, and other types of behavior by using cutting-edge technologies.” Application receipt deadlines for both FOAs are July 7 and November 10, 2021.
National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH) and National Institute of Child Health and Human Development (NICHD) issued a Notice of Special Interest focusing on the topics of cognitive, social, and emotional development of children as impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic. The first available due date is June 5, 2021.