FABBS Responds to RFI on OBSSR Strategic Plan 2023-2028
November 16, 2022
In response to a request for information (RFI) from the NIH Office of Behavioral and Social Sciences Research (OBSSR), FABBS submitted comments on the cross-cutting themes and scientific priorities listed below. FABBS commended OBSSR on the recent reports Trans-NIH Opportunities in the Basic Behavioral and Social Sciences and Integration of Behavioral and Social Sciences Research at NIH, encouraging OBSSR to rely on these reports to help inform future activities and initiatives.
FABBS underscored opportunities to increase integration including working with incoming Directors of institutes and centers and in the grant review process. Read the full comments here.
Three scientific priorities:
- Improve the synergy between basic BSSR and research testing approaches to improve health outcomes
- Enhance and promote research measures, methods, and infrastructure needed to support an integrated and more cumulative approach to BSSR
- Accelerate sustained adoption of BSSR findings in practice
Four cross-cutting themes:
- Integration of BSSR across NIH research
- Science of science
- Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Accessibility (DEIA)
- Training and capacity building