FABBS is a proud partner of the March for Science, which took place on April 22nd, 2017 in Washington, DC and in over 600 cities around the world. Here’s more about why FABBS supported this celebration of science and will continue to support the movement.
Follow us on Twitter (@FABBS) for the latest news and calls to action.
Here were some of the events hosted by our member societies and fellow coalitions:
American Educational Research Association (AERA)
- Pre-march breakfast: AERA will be hosting education researchers, their friends and family, alongside fellow social and behavioral scientists, as they gather prior to the March on the morning of April 22, here in D.C. Join them at 1430 K Street NW, Suite 600, at 8-9:30 AM. Register now.
- Social media: Use the hashtag #March4EdResearch and/or tag AERA (@AERA_EdResearch) in your social media posts to be re-shared.
American Psychological Association (APA)
- Advocacy training: APA will offer advocacy training on Friday, April 21, noon to 1:30 p.m., at its Washington, D.C., headquarters. The training session, “Beyond the March: Advocating for Psychological Science,” will focus on how to communicate effectively with policymakers about the importance of psychological research and evidence-based policy. Register here, or learn more about APA’s activities for the weekend.
- Social media: Tweet @APAScience to ask questions and share photos.
American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS)
- Advocating for Science Beyond the March: AAAS will hold a free webinar on Wednesday, April 19 from 2:00 to 3:00 p.m. to discuss ways to get involved in different avenues of science advocacy. Interested attendees are encouraged to register in advance.
- Friday, April 21st day of programming: AAAS will be hosting communication and advocacy workshops and a comedy show.
9:00 am – 12:30 pm: Catalyzing Advocacy in Science & Engineering Workshop
1:30 – 4:30 pm: Communicating Science Workshop
6:30 – 7:30 pm: Stand-up for Science Reception
7:30 – 9:00 pm: Stand-up Comedy for Science
- Saturday, April 22nd, March day activities
8 am: Continental breakfast at AAAS Headquarters (1200 New York Ave NW)
8:30-9:30 am: Rally with Scientific Community Leaders
9:30-10:30 am: March to the March from AAAS to the National Mall
9:00 am – 12:15 pm: Science teach-in tent on the National Mall
3:00-7:00 pm: Chair massages and mobile charging stations at AAAS
Post-March 5:30 – 7:00 pm: Happy hour at AAAS
- Advocacy toolkit – Be a Force for Science
Friends of the Social and Behavioral Sciences
- Pre-march Happy Hour, Friday April 21st: Friends of Social and Behavioral Sciences is hosting a happy hour at Mackey’s Public House (1306 G St NW) from 5-8pm. RSVP on Eventbrite or Facebook.
- Networking survey: Friends of Social and Behavioral Sciences are trying to help connect and organize supporters. Please fill out this survey to be added to the database.
Union of Concerned Scientists (UCS)
- Advocacy training: On Friday, April 21st from 2-3pm, UCS will be holding a workshop, “How to Have Effective In-District Meetings with Congress”. There are a few spots left. RSVP on their website.
- Sign Making Party: On Friday, April 21st from 5-8pm, UCS will be hosting a sign making party at their DC office (1825 K St NW, 8th Floor). Materials and snacks will be provided. RSVP here.